Monday, 12 December 2011

Graphics - Typography

As with the multimedia workshop, we were given a similar theme for the graphics workshop - Organic.
We started off with collecting images from magazines that we thought represented our theme and made a mood board. I chose sections of colour such as blues and greens as well as pictures of flowers, food and things like socks because they link through organic materials like cotton.

Mood Board.
Next, from the mood board I came up with some quick pencil sketches of Initial Ideas.
I then developed them and added colour to see how they would work.
Developed Ideas with Colour.

 I then chose my favourite 2 to develop further. I enlarged them, traced them and scanned them into Photoshop.

Letter J - Enlarged Tracing of Sketch scanned into Photoshop.

Letter Y - Enlarged Tracing of Sketch scanned into Photoshop.
In Photoshop, I used Levels to adjust the contrast and give me a pure black lined image with a white background.


Then on Adobe Illustrator, I used Live Trace, which spilt my image into different sections ready to paint. Before painting, Using the Gap Tool, I checked for small, medium and large gaps. Lastly, I used Live Paint to colour in my Images.

Final Characters:




Multimedia Final Video

This is the second video I made, which is my final version:

Thursday, 8 December 2011

Multimedia

For this workshop, our theme was Natural World.
Firstly, We choose a sentence/quote from a given list, mine was:
"Don't Blow It! Good Planets are Hard to Find!" (Time Magazine).

Next, to gather some ideas I made a spider diagram for the 'Natural World'.

Then using these ideas, I created 2 A3 landscape pages that show a range of mark making by using natural brushes and textures, on Photoshop.

Mark making on Photoshop:  

This was my first experiment, I think it more easily shows what my project is about - the natural world. I tried to include trees, wind, sun (weather), flowers, coral, fish etc.
For my second experiment I tired to make it less of an illustration and slightly more abstract but all the while you still can tell what my image is about. Out of both of them, this is my favourite.
Using the techniques from the A3 sheets and our given sentence I made a small animation on Photoshop. This is the first video I made which is a trial animation using my name. 
video




Andy Warhol Silkscreen Effect on Photoshop

One of my chosen artists for my Artist Studies is Andy Warhol. I have always liked his Silkscreen Prints, especially his famous Marilyn Series (1962). Therefore I wanted to recreate a similar image but using Photoshop. I chose Johnny Depp because he is one of my favourite celebrities and actors as was Marilyn Monroe for Warhol.

Original Image that Effects are based on.
Image 1 - Colours made to Match Warhol's Famous Marilyn Silkscreen (Blue).

Photomontage of Different Versions of Johnny Depp.

Photomontage of Different Versions of Johnny Depp.

To achieve these effects I followed an online tutorial and this is how I did it:
  1. To recreate the posterized shadows, I selected RGB on Channels Palette and made a new channel - Alpha Channel.
  2. I altered the edge detail by using the High Pass Filter.
  3. Then, I adjusted the Levels to created high contrast. This left me with a posterized black and white image.
  4. Next, using the brush tool I painted away unneeded areas, to give me a crisp and smooth image.
  5. To make the base detail I inverted the image, selected it, placed it on a new layer and filled it in with a base colour.
  6. For each area of colour e.g. Face, Clothing, Sky etc. I created a new layer and using the Lasso Tool I drew roughly around the shape, then filled it in with the Paint Bucket Tool.
  7. Each time I had to make sure the Base layer was on the top.
  8. Lastly to create different versions I use the Hue/Saturation Adjustment and saved each version.

Lomography

This is my own photo I took in London outside Buckingham Palace.
Before.

After.

This is a photo of the Suspension Bridge in Bristol that I found online!
Before.

After.

This is a photo I took in NYC.
Before.

After.
 
 
To create this lomographic effect, I firstly cropped my image to 16 x 9 cm and changed its resolution to 300 pixels/inch.
Using the Lasso Tool, I drew a circle around the centre of my image. I then feathered my selection to help blend and and soften my selection.
Next, I inversed my selection and added a new adjustment layer where I changed the levels, once happy with the effect I flattened the image so it returned to one layer. I did the same for a new adjustment layer for curves.
I then added a new layer which I painted black. To make my image visible again, I changed its blending mode to Hue and edited its opacity. This was done to mix greyscale with colour.
I again flatten my image and to finish off, I made my image clearer and easier to see by using the Sharpen Filter.